Sunday, November 14, 2021

LADYBIRDS FOR GROWN UPS: Old fashioned humour at its best!

Ladybird Books stock control was my first responsibility at W.H.Smith Wholesale Leeds in 1974 as their Trainee Manager.

I visited the UK Ladybird Factory and HQ in Loughborough on several occasions during the 70's and 80's.

My passion for the original Ladybirds has continued ever since and I buy these and collect second hand whenever I come across them, particularly early First Editions.

When I opened my 1st Bookshop Garforth near Leeds in 1987, I always ensured that we stocked the full range at all times and that the new titles were readily available to our customers on publication day.

Today online, I still have the full range for Children on sale, subject to availability and they are now owned and published by Penguin Books Ltd. However it's quite ironic that these days there are 'Ladybirds For Grown Ups' recreating classic images from the past and converting the text into old fashioned humour at its best.

Posted By Roger, Partner and Founder of Firstbookshop.com

SEE ALL 34 LADYBIRDS FOR GROWN UPS.